Nov

Dear Ben Affleck,

Somehow you managed to go over a decade without making a good movie.  There was Good Will Hunting, Chasing Amy (see below), and then The Town.  In between we had classics like, Pearl Harbor (Michael Bay is awful), Gigli (rated worst movie of all time), The Sum of All Fears (worst Jack Ryan film ever), and Reindeer Games (you know how bad that was).  However, you did direct Gone Baby, Gone (during filming did you realize that Casey is a better actor than you?), so I have to give you some credit there.

Ok, that paragraph is neither here nor there, I’ve just always wanted to publically state my confusion over your career.  Now, to the point…the speech you made in the middle of Chasing Amy spoke to not only myself, but I’m sure millions of teenage/young adult males AND females everywhere.  Haven’t we all wanted to profess our love to someone who we are almost positive is going to ‘shoot us down?’  Granted, most of us are not trying to convert someone to the other team, to coin a Seinfeld term (change someone’s sexual orientation for you non-Seinfeld people. Yeah, I said it…you people), but the message is no different: “I love you…you probably don’t love me…but I needed you to know that.”  I know I’ve done it, and I’m sure I’ll be writing a future letter or two in this blog about it, but I guess I don’t understand why we feel the need.  Is it on the off-chance that the answer is the one we yearn for? Or is it because we just need to unload our burden.  Anyway, enjoy the clip below…beware there are a few choice words.

About these ads

9 Responses to “Dear Ben Affleck,”

1. November 21, 2010 at 12:08 am

What a speech! Now you have me wanting to watch the movie to see what happened :)

2. November 21, 2010 at 12:47 pm

That is a great video! I am intrigued by your blog. I will be subscribing so that I can see more. =) Happy Sunday!

3. November 22, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Wow, I have not seen that movie, but based on that speech alone, I kind of have to now!!

4. November 22, 2010 at 5:12 pm

It’s so good to know I’m not the only one who feels this way about Ben.

I recently saw The Town, and am still bitter that he stole 2 hours of my life. You’d think a guy from Boston would know how to fake a Boston accent.

Never saw Gigli, but I give him a pass for that one since he was dating J-Lo at the time. He also slicked his hair back, drove a powder blue Bentley and filmed Jenny from the Block back then.

The thing about Benny is that I don’t think he’s a terrible actor (read: Good Will Hunting), he just picks horrible roles (read: everything but Good Will Hunting).

xoxo
    -Bianca and the Girls with Prius Envy

• November 23, 2010 at 10:41 am

Bianca I have to be honest…I quite enjoyed The Town, and even though his Boston accent was too enhanced for my liking, it was not nearly as bad as Jack Nicholsons in The Departed. I overall thought Ben was pretty solid in it, though Jeremy Renner stole the show. Well, so did Blake Lively, but for other reasons.

5. November 22, 2010 at 8:09 pm

This is so good. THANK YOU. Before I side-lined one of my blogs dedicated to movie reviews, I had a little Ben Affleck rant myself. Well, I guess it wasn’t a rant so much as a confused cry to the heavens. Anyway, glad I’m not the only one who feels this way about his career.

I’ve read some of your other posts and this is really great. Very well-written. Keep it up!!

marlowesnymph.wordpress.com

6. 7 blackvelvetsea
    November 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Wow, love the speech and now want to see what happened. I have always thought the same about him but then he did well in Pearl Harbor and I think he’s recently looking more mature. Thanks for sharing this video touched my heart. I think if somoene said that too me God only knows how I’d react :) Awesome!

7. December 1, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Awww.. I love Chasing Amy, it’s a classic in my book. BUT- no mention of his complete asshole role in “Dazed and Confused”? Just watched again the other day, and he’s hilarious in it. Seriously. ;)

P.S. As someone who watches “chick flicks” and loves Kevin Smith, “Jersey Girl” also has a place in my heart..

8. January 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I agree with you but State of Play was a pretty great movie…I actually just watched it last night and I cant seem to get sick of it. Did you ever see it?