Jan

dear ione skye & john cusack,

Thanks for making it nearly impossible for men all over the world to let go of a girlfriend. I guess in all fairness I should include Cameron Crowe & Peter Gabriel in this letter also. Let me tell you the lesson that I, and millions of other males, learned the first time we saw this movie: “Gentleman, if a woman breaks up with you and you want her back, it’s simple, stand outside her window playing some romantic love song in the wee hours of the morning and I promise, you will win her back!” Well, though I am sure I am not the first to come to this conclusion – this strategy doesn’t work in real life.

To be honest, I don’t have any empirical proof to back it up, since I’ve never been so desperate to get back together with someone (though, there are MANY girls I’ve been desperate to get together with in the first place, but that’s a different situation). The only reason I know it doesn’t work is because I’m not an idiot. While in many ways I’m an idealist, and would love to believe I could win a woman’s heart over by standing outside her door holding my iphone above my head with it blaring “fill in cheesy love song from this decade,” I know it just doesn’t happen that way. Or maybe, it does. I’m going to cut myself off from blabbing on and on and open this up to the general public…Ladies & Gents, please comment with quick story if something similar to the following scene has happened in your life, and not only that, if it actually did the trick.

About these ads

7 Responses to “dear ione skye & john cusack,”

1. January 26, 2011 at 11:53 am

Maybe if the guy I broke up with brought Bruce Springsteen in the flesh to sing outside my door, it might work. (I know, Bruce Springsteen, but I’m middle aged so give me a break.)

2. 2 TL
    January 26, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I think that girls have similar thoughts about men showing up at their window singing them romantic songs because they can’t live without us. But it doesn’t happen either. Movies are destroying our expectations. :)

3. January 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm

“standing outside her door holding my iphone above my head” lol :)

4. January 27, 2011 at 12:05 am

My friends and I were just arguing about this after watching easy A! I think Say Anything is the least romantic rom com.

That clip is the only sweet part of the whole movie! The rest is depressing. I much prefer grand gestures like showing me how my ex boyfriend, Brett Farve really does like my special
    brother.
    -Bianca

5. January 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Nope, never happened to me, but I have been known to (secretly) wish that it would. In actuality, though, if a guy did do this, he’d have to be someone I actually wanted to get back together with. In which case, he wouldn’t need to resort to such desperate measures (although a hand written letter or flowers delivered to my work is always a nice, non-creepy gesture). If it was some guy I didn’t want back, finding him outside my window, with or without the boom box (er…iphone) would just be creepy.

BTW…I hated this movie.

6. January 31, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Oh how, love the clip. It reminds me a bit of Hawthorn Heights “Nikki FM”